Contact Us

Your Company Formations Blog

Limited Company Advantages and Disadvantages
Limited Company Advantages and Disadvantages
May 15, 2018
Dormant Company
What is a Dormant Company?
May 30, 2018
Tax Identification Number uk

What is my company Tax Number?

When someone decides to start up their very first business, it can be quite confusing to get used to all the different rules, regulations and requirements that come with it. This is especially true when you have all these different official registered numbers to refer to.

To start with, your company will be issued both a company number as well as a tax number. These two numbers are completely different and are used separately within your business.

Your Company Registration Number

Your company number is what is know officially as your Company Registration Number (CRN). You will receive your CRN from Companies House once you have gone through the company formation system and your company has been officially registered with them.

Your CRN number is a completely unique number that is not shared by any other company, so it is used for identification purposes when you communicate with Companies House. Your CRN number can be found on your certificate of incorporation. You will need this number each time you submit your statutory information to Companies House.

Your Company Tax Number

You will also be issued with a company tax number. This is another number that is officially known as your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). Your UTR will be issued to you by HMRC once you have officially registered your business with Companies House. You will receive your UTR quite quickly after you have formed your company and you can usually find this unique number on your very first letter that you get from HMRC after incorporation. Look for a number that is headed with ‘UTR’ or ‘tax reference’.

Your company tax number (UTR) is used in the same way as you use your company number to deal with Companies House. You must use your UTR to communicate with HMRC whenever you need to contact them and when submitting your company financial records.

Registered Office Address

Look out for any official documentation that come from Companies House or HMRC and make sure you read and deal with these quickly. All mail from Companies House and HMRC will be sent to your registered office address, so make sure that you are using an address for this purpose that is properly staffed. It’s never a good idea to have a registered office address that is hardly used or sits empty for any length of time. For example, you may have a warehouse office that is hardly used, but if you get all of your post sent here, your important official post may get mixed up and lost in piles of junk mail.

CRN and UTR Summary

So, to summarise, here are the key points about your CRN and your company UTR:

  • Your CRN consists of 8 numbers, or 2 letters followed by 6 numbers
  • Your CRN is a unique number that is issued by Companies House upon your company formation
  • Your CRN is printed on the certificate of incorporation and on all of your official correspondence received from Companies House
  • Your CRN is used to identify individual companies and confirm their legal existence
  • Your CRN number will be displayed on public record next to your company name

You will need to provide your CRN for the following purposes:

  • appointing and removing directors and secretaries
  • contacting Companies House about anything relating to your company
  • filing a Return of Allotment of Shares
  • filing and updating your annual confirmation statement
  • filing your company tax returns
  • issuing company share certificates
  • registering with HMRC for business taxes
  • reporting changes to your company’s details or structure
  • submitting annual accounts

You will also be required to display your CRN on your official business stationery such as letters and invoices. This also includes your company emails and your CRN should also be displayed on your company website and any sub-sites that you run.

If you are unsure what your CRN is, then you can look it up on the Companies House website by entering your company name in the WebCHeck search engine. Don’t worry that your CRN number will be changed each year – your number will remain the same for the lifetime of your company. Even if you decide to close your company down, your CRN number will never be re-issued to another company, so your company history will be assigned to your number forever.

Tax Identification Number uk

Your company Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number is also unique to your business identity:

  • HMRC uses your UTR to identify your company and to confirm your tax status
  • You can find your UTR number printed on a letter from HRMC that is delivered to your registered office address
  • Your UTR is an unique number issued by HMRC shortly after your company formation
  • Your UTR number consists of 10 digits

You will need to provide your UTR for the following purposes:

  • changing your corporation tax accounting period
  • contacting HMRC about anything else relating to your company
  • filing tax returns and VAT Returns
  • informing HMRC about changes to your registered details or company structure
  • informing HMRC if your business is dormant
  • paying corporation tax and VAT
  • paying your employees
  • registering for corporation tax, VAT, and PAYE

Your UTR number is usually found printed on your official correspondence received from HMRC. If you are not sure what your UTR is and don’t have access to your paperwork, then you can find it by logging onto the HMRC website and accessing your corporation tax online account.

Your company UTR number should be automatically issued by HMRC very soon after your have gone through the company formations process. Companies House will inform HMRC directly once your company has been officially registered. You should receive an official letter (Form CT41G) with your UTR printed on it, along with an official Notice to deliver a Company Tax Return.

Don’t confuse your UTRs

HMRC issue company UTRs to registered companies that have gone through the company formations process and have registered with Companies House. However, HMRC also issue personal UTRs to self-employed individuals who are registered for Self-Assessment.

These two numbers are completely separate from each other, so you cannot use your own personal UTR number for your company, or vice-versa.

As your registered company is seen as a separate identity in the eyes of the law, your company will have its own unique UTR, so you cannot use your own personal tax payer reference number for anything other than for your own individual Self-assessment tax returns.

Further reading:

Important Tax Changes for 2018 to be Aware Of

Limited Company Advantages and Disadvantages

start your company formation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *