Getting to Know Self-Assessment

Last Updated: Mar 10, 2021
post featured image

There are various distinctive individuals who must enlist for Self Assessment. Also, there is the need to send Self Assessment tax returns, and pay Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions on these revenues, which include: employees of Limited Liability Partnerships, business partnerships, Limited company directors and self-employed sole traders, guaranteeing costs in abundance of £2,500 every tax year, any person with a yearly wage that exceeds £100,000; and, any individual who gets rental pay which exceeds £2,500 from UK land or property.

In the event that you wish to enlist for Self Assessment, you must do as such prior to the conclusion of the tax year which is 5th – for instance: the enrollment due date for the 2015-16 tax year is 5th October 2016. You must record your Self Assessment tax returns by October 31st 2016 for paper returns or by January 31st 2017 (online returns). All National Insurance and Income Tax payable for the tax year ought to have been completely settled by January 31st 2017.

  1. How much Income Tax will I have to pay through Self Assessment?

Various rates are used when charging Income Tax and all people who were born after 5th April 1948 with yearly revenue below £10,000 is qualified for a Personal tax-free Allowance of £10,600 (2015-16 limits). The following rates are applicable to income above this amount:

  • Yearly income up to £31,785 will get 20% tax rate.
  • Yearly income between £31,786 and £150,000 will get 40% tax rate.
  • Yearly income above £150,000 will get 45% tax rate.

What National Insurance do I have to pay through Self-Assessment?

Class 2 and 4 National Insurance Contributions are paid by most of the people that register for Self Assessment. Whenever taxable income surpasses £5,885, class 2 must be paid and this will be charged at the rate of £2.80 every week. Direct debit can be used to pay for this on a regular basis or could be paid twice in a year i.e. at the beginning and half way through the year. On the other hand, whenever taxable income falls within £8,060-£42,385, class 4 must be paid. It will be charged at 9 percent of the aggregate taxable revenue. It is payable on Jan.31st with the Income Tax bill for the just concluded tax year.

Self-Assessment for sole traders

A Sole trader refers to a person who is self-employed in his/her own company. You will be required to enlist yourself for Self assessment, pay National Insurance and income tax via self assessment on all taxable revenue and record your tax return from each year as a sole trader. This is one of the least demanding sorts of business structures to establish and operate. It is especially useful for individuals with little organizations with a yearly taxable pay that is not up to £31,785.

Don’t do business alone. Join a Community.

Subscribe to our newsletter and join the ranks of 100,000+ entrepreneurs who receive weekly insights, legal updates, and compliance reminders directly in their inbox.

Self-Assessment for limited company directors

A director in a Limited company is practically an employee, regardless of the fact that he/she is the organisation’s proprietor. Directors will more often than not get a paid on a PAYE basis – their own NI and tax will be removed from the source. Then again, they might likewise get profit instalments, expenses and benefits, directors’ loans etc and these are not subject to the PAYE methods. Directors are therefore required to register for Self-Assessment to report this extra pay. Any individual tax liabilities emerging from secondary revenue will be settled via Self-Assessment.

If you receive anything north of £31,785, your NI and personal tax can be significantly reduced through a limited company structure. For more details, click here.

  1. Self-Assessment for LLP members

Members of LLP are people who come together to operate a business as a partnership. An LLP is not taxed; however, individual members of the LLP are taxed based on their share of the profits. This consequently prompts members of LLP to register for Self-Assessment and document Self-Assessment taxes every year.

  1. How to register for Self-Assessment

  • As a partner or sole trader, register for Self-Assessment

In the event that you are a partner or a sole trader an organisation, you can enlist for Self-Assessment online by clicking this link. You will have to make a Government Gateway account as part of the process. As soon as you do this, your User ID will be shown on the monitor. Details concerning you and your business will be requested by HMRC in order to create an online record and register you for Self-Assessment Online services – this is straightforward and will take less than 15 minutes to complete.

After submission, HMRC will take a couple of days to post an affirmation letter to your place of work. This will consist of your Unique Taxpayer Reference. To pay taxes and file tax returns, you will have to supply this number. Another letter containing your activation code will then be sent shortly afterwards. This code is valid for a period of 28 days. This code is to be used when activating your online account and when filing self-assessment tax returns.

  • Register for Self-Assessment as a director in a limited company

It is also quite easy although it may take a little longer to complete the registration process for self-assessment as a director:

  • fill out the SA1 for online.
  • Your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) should be received via post within 10 working days. Note that this is different from the Company UTR.
  • When you get your UTR, you can select online for Self-Assessment services by making a Government Gateway record and password. It then displays your User ID on the monitor.
  • In less than 10 working days, your activation code will be sent to you.
  • You have a limit of 28 days to use this code to activate your account. All you have to do is to sign in with your User ID and password and supply your activation code when required.

How do I file a Self-Assessment tax return?

You can document your Self-Assessment tax return by post on form SA100 or through the internet. You may choose to employ an accountant to do this for you or you can do it yourself. If you make use of the free self-assessment internet feature and your accounts are quite straight forward, you can easily file your tax returns by yourself. Upon the completion the returns, you will be told how much you are required to pay for your class 4 NI and tax. You may have to employ the services of an accountant if your account is complex because it will require you to fill out several supplementary pages.

Article by

Jody Smith

A content and media expert, I have worked for 7 years alongside start-ups and small businesses to effectively promote their brands through blogs, social media and content marketing strategies.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *